Does Gum Disease Hurt?
Periodontal Disease Can Be Painless
One of the reasons gum disease is such a problem is that it progresses gradually, often with no pain during the initial stages.
So how can you tell if you’re affected? Have a look at some of the symptoms:
- Gums that bleed when brushing or flossing – No amount of bleeding is normal.
- Red, swollen, or tender gums – Redness can be a sign of irritation or infection. Gums should be a healthy shade of pink or coral.
- Bad breath – Gum disease can be a major contributing factor to persistent bad breath (halitosis).
- Gum recession – Unhealthy gum tissue may begin to recede and pull away from the tooth.
- Loose permanent teeth – As periodontal disease progresses, it can further break down the gum and connective tissues that hold teeth in place.
- Teeth fit differently when biting – Any noticeable difference in your mouth should be investigated, including changes to bite/alignment of teeth, partial dentures, or other restorations that may have loosened or shifted due to gum disease.
If you have one or more of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment to be evaluated for periodontal disease.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Where patients become family, and our practice serves our community! Tracy Dental Excellence is a general and cosmetic dental practice that strives to restore and enhance the natural beauty of your smile. Through a combination of conservative procedures and state-of-the-art dental technology we can help you achieve the beautiful, long-lasting smile that you desire. Here at Tracy Dental Excellence we want to make your experience a good one so we've put together a list of useful information, including what to expect on your first visit, downloadable new patient forms accepted insurance providers and affordable dental financing options. We also provide certified patient reviews! We are here for you, just let us know how we can help. Your wants and concerns are listened to and heard! Once we understand our mutual goals, we will apply our skills to bring about results we both expect to benefit your oral health AND your smile. You can count on up-to-date information and care. Our entire team attends continuing education seminars and workshops regularly. We source the latest in new materials and methods.